Hey friends: How ya doin? How you holding up? Still breathing? British friends: Did we cause some retrauma over there? Some secondhand trauma? I’d give you all a nice one-armed side hug with a shoulder squeeze if I could.
I, thank the granfalloon, was busy most of last night, and by the time I got home it already wasn’t looking good. I had a minor moment of obsessive electoral count refreshing, but when Florida went all red, I went to bed. It was done. I’ve been through this before.
Some good news from this election:
- Maine’s down-ballot Ranked Choice Voting initiative passed. I didn’t think it would, but it did, and I hope it’s contagious.
- My red state went a little more purple. Ditch the Left and Far Left criticisms for a moment and celebrate this minor culture change.
- The US rejected dynastic politics. This needs to keep happening. (Painful that it’s in exchange for Hollywood politics and the Supreme Court and inarticulate rhetoric and, you know, unapologetic racism and sexism.)
This is going to be an unpredictable next four years. Gordelpus all.
Anyway, my whole point in coming here was to tell you I made a list. George at Science Book a Day has been pals with FC2M almost since the beginning and his “Ten Great Books” series is always an intriguing exercise. I like the open-endedness of it: not Ten BEST Books, not Ten WHATEVER Books, just Ten GREAT Books. It’s a list I enjoy curating.
They get better and better and this is a good one: It’s been a good reading year.
(And, although I wrote this list a couple of weeks ago, that blurb about the Parable books is, sadly, still relevant. I was hoping it would be obsolete by the time it posted.)
After this, my blogging infrequency will continue. Single-book reviews are on hold for the season, but more lists and listicles and mini-reviews are headed your way.
Top Ten List of Lists I Might Do If I Get Around To It:
- 10 months later, how about I review the Kitschies shortlists, finally, for fuck’s sake
- My favorite vintage reads of the year
- My favorite 2015 reads of the year
- My favorite 2015 shortlists of the year
- My favorite SF nonfic reads of the year
- My favorite audiobook listens of the year
- My most anticipated 2016 reads of the year that I have not yet read but am totally planning to read and probably starting soon
- And the big FC2M annual retrospective (spoiler alert: I failed in many things this year, including counting to ten, and I’m totally okay with it.)
And, I’m working on a thing for someone over here and another thing for someone over there, so… I’ll let you know.
And if I don’t get around to it, I wish you all a blessed List-Making Season… it gets earlier and longer every year…